Friday, February 24, 2012

What should I do when I go to Washington DC?

My boyfriend and I are doing a little road trip to Maine at the end of this month.

We are making a pit stop in DC for 2 or 3 days. I've been looking up things to do while we are there but I'd like to plan my intinerary based off of peoples experiences rather than what I can read on travel websites.



What are some good bars and restaurants we can check out?

Segway tours?

Parks?

Museums?



Any suggestions would be great!What should I do when I go to Washington DC?
Some random pointers here.

Get a hotel in Northern Virginia or in Maryland that is NORTH of Washington DC. Places like Alexandria and Arlington Virginia and Bethesda and Rockville Maryland are best. Stay out of the areas that are South and East of Washington DC, because those are generally "ghettos".

Don't try to drive into DC. The driving is slow and there is not enough public parking spaces. Your best bet is to take the Metro (subway) into DC and then just walk.

Be sure to bring some very comfortable walking shoes and some comfortable clothing. Right now it's about 97 F in DC with 97 % humidity. In other words it's HOT. It will stay this way until mid-September and then start to cool a bit.

You can see all the sights by either walking or taking the Metro. The monuments and memorials are all free, as are the Smithsonian Museums.

I think that the Museums are the best part of Wash DC. So plan to see them all if you can.
This is a link to Washingtonian 100 Best Restaurants in the DC area for this year:



It will tell you location, contact information, reviews, price, where they rank in top 100, etc.



I would suggest Zaytinya, Jaleo (several locations), Cork, Bar Pilar, Brabo Tasting Room

Turkish, Greek Mediterranean

Spanish Tapas

resthome.html Small plates and wine pairings

Eclectic, casual, small plates and wine pairings

Upscale small plates and wine pairings



And now... I will share with you my secret place if you want to go out of DC as far as Manassas.





They have Italian and American cuisine, they have stellar service, are not typically too crowded because not that many people know they're there yet - this is truly a "hidden gem." The outside of the place looks unimpressive but inside are beautiful stone floors and a feeling that you've stepped into another dimension. There's an acoustic guitarist/singer who plays there sometimes named David Davol. He's very good and lovely to listen to. He has a huge playlist and if you have a special song, he frequently does requests. He does James Taylor for my husband and me :)What should I do when I go to Washington DC?
From experience, I recommend going to see all the war memorials and the president memorials. Another must is to visit Arlington Cemetery. In terms of museums, all of the Smithsonains are great but the one museum you must go to is the Holocaust Museum. Taking their tour is really life-changing. Also swing by the court house and Capital Hill and say hi to your congressman if you get the chance. I hope this was helpful and I hope you and your boyfriend have a great time.
Go to Jinx proof in Georgetown and get a tattoo.Go to the National Arboretum or Botanical garden, go down and hang out at the wharf. Navy yard Park is really cool. check out the sight. National Cathedral is cool, great architecture so its the shrine of the immaculate conception. Yes, there are segway tours, I've never been because I hate tours, I like to explore on my own. There are tons of things you can do. check out this list of free or nearly free thing to do in DC. http://washington.org/visiting/browse-dc/attractions/100-free-things-to-do



I still think you should go to jinx proof.
Segway tours are fun, but QUITE expensive--I'd say to avoid them.



You may want to purchase a pass for the Tourmobile, which circles the National Mall, allowing you on-off privileges for a day (I believe they also throw in a second day free of charge).

http://www.tourmobile.com



The major tourist attractions are the Smithsonian Air %26amp; Space Museum, the Smithsonian American History Museum, the Smithsonian Natural History Museum, the US Capitol, the Washington Monument, the National Archives, the Lincoln Memorial and walking by the White House (you can only get inside if you arrange for passes several months ahead through your US Congressman's office).



A "hot spot" for dining these days is the "Penn Quarter" section of 7th Street, NW, which is only a few blocks from the National Mall. If you prefer drinking, try the spots on Capitol Hil, Georgetown, or the Adams-Morgan neighborhood.
You could visit the Washington Monument, it has grass surrounding if you wanted to buy sandwiches and just eat there like a picnic. It is like a light house you travel up to the very top and there are windows so you could see all of Washington D.C. I suggest making this your first stop to get a feel for where everything is in D.C



http://www.nps.gov/wamo/index.htm



I don't know if your into the monuments and everything but you could visit the white house. There is a gate so you must stand a distance way. Bring a camera take photos. You could also visit the Lincoln Memorial. A statue of Lincoln sitting in his chair. I would say both these things are boring to visit but its history and thats what makes it fresh!



Smithsonian museums are the best!



http://www.si.edu/



You could visit the zoo, go to the AIr and Space Museum, African Art Museum, or even Natural History Museum!



I have never been on a Segway Tour and can't give you info on that. I also haven't been to many park either and can't inform you about that. Sorry!
= Go visit:



National Cathedral

Holocaust Memorial Museum

The Memorials (Korean, Vietnam, WW1, WWII, Great Depression, Jefferson, Lincoln, etc.)

Arlington National Cemetery (Graves of the Kennedys, Changing of the guards, Grave of the Unknown Soldier)

Georgetown

Ford Theatre
Chinatown has nice restaurants. There's a little place called space bar that's very casual and fun.

For museums and such check out the Smithsonian.
Gatecrash into Barack Obama's banquet hall and come out a celebrity.
Get drunk on U Street.
have a coffee with president obama in the white house =)
  • kens5
  • medical city dallas
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment